- About Curling
- The Club
- Try Curling!
- Dedicated Ice
- Sign Up/Pay
Board Meeting 7/16 - Highlights
Thank you to all who attended the 7/16 open board meeting in Fremont. It's great to see so many people interested in getting involved in club activities! In the upcoming weeks, there will be some preliminary organizational and brainstorming meetings for the 2010 bonspiel and season, so stay tuned for more details on that.
Here are a few highlights from last night's meeting:
- New Board Member - Unfortunately, Beverly Van Pelt needs to leave her position on the board. (Bev - we hope to see you back out on the ice soon!) Thank you to Colleen Buyers who has stepped up to fill in for the remainder of the term. Colleen has been instrumental in the expansion to Oakland and currently heads up the Future Planning Committee.
- New Membership Czar - Thank you, thank you, thank you to Mason for volunteering to take over membership sign-up duties. This will take some of the load off of the current Secretary/Treasurer position and make it more manageable. And thank you, thank you, thank you to Sarah W. for our soon-to-launch online membership sign-up feature. (Looking ahead, it will be membership renewal time for pretty much everyone in the club very soon - so watch for the emails, etc.!)
- MoPac Representative - The board will be appointing a new representative to the MoPac board next month. Duties include representing the SFBACC in MoPac discussions (should be all tele-conferences, not travel), and assisting with whatever MoPac organizational issues that might arise.
- Golden Gate Bonspiel 2010 - Lyle is currently working out ice rental details with Sharks Ice, but it looks very likely that the SFBACC will be hosting a bonspiel on Memorial Day Weekend in 2010. We will need lots of volunteers to make this happen and creative ideas to keep it fresh and enticing - stay tuned for planning session info coming soon!
- Rock Refurbishment - The SFBACC had two sets of the original San Jose rocks refurbished and they are great! They're very close to the speed of the Sharks Ice Fremont rocks and have great curl. We will start using them on the ice once we have a proper storage situation so they aren't immediately destroyed again - and we're working on getting a freezer now for that purpose. We will be getting the rest of our rocks refurbished once we work out storage and cost details.
- Curling in Oakland - We are working to get rocks and other equipment to Oakland so that we can begin curling there as soon as possible. We would most likely be hosting a series of curling clinics and combined mini-lesson series and curling clinic events to start out and build a base of new members in the area. We will need lots of volunteers to staff these meetings. Contact Colleen for more information.
- We Need New Board Members! - President, Brent Halpenny, and Sec/Treasurer, Mike Loomis, are currently planning to step down at the end of their terms. If you think you might be interested in filling one of these critical club roles, please contact President@bayareacurling.com for more information.