- About Curling
- The Club
- Try Curling!
- Sign Up/Pay
The Year in Curling 2012 - 2013
Summer Adult Leagues - July-Sept - The club experiences the Olympic cycle decline in league attendance this year. The San Jose Tuesday league was canceled, the Oakland Wednesday League had only 4 full sheets of curling, the Oakland Friday League had only 3 sheets of curling and ran lessons to increase attendance, and the Fremont Thursday League had about 2 full sheets of curling and 2 sheets of practice ice. The Fremont league was the only one in which curlers paid Sharks Ice directly.
- Oakland Friday Beginner Lessons/Instructional League: 7 weeks from July 27 to Sept. 14 (no session 8/31), 7:45-9:45pm. Cost is $175.
- San Jose Tuesday Night Summer League: 10 weeks from July 10 to Sept. 11, 7:40-9:40pm. Cost is $250. (This is canceled after 3 nights.)
- Oakland Wednesday Night Summer League: 12 weeks from June 20 to Sept. 12 (no curling July 4), 6:45-8:45pm. Cost is $300.
- Fremont Thursday Night Summer League: 10 weeks from June 28 to Aug. 30, 7:45-9:45pm. Cost is $220. 5-week option for $110.
- Oakland Friday Night Summer League: 10 weeks from June 29 to Sept. 14 (no sessions 7/6 & 8/31), 7:45-9:45pm. Cost is $250.
- Oakland Weds league winners: Team "New Curl'd Order" - Brian Patrick, Adam Kapp, Kevin Ryan, Loreen Makishima-Wolf
Summer Children's Curling - The club purchases little rocks for a youth program in Oakland in partnership with Sharks Ice and their other sports.
Lawn Bowling Social - July 22 - The SFBACC hosts a lawn bowling social event. About 40 curlers and family members attend. photos
SFBACC Officers Elected to MoPac Office - July - SFBACC President Brian Patrick is elected MoPac President, and SFBACC At-Large Director Michael Lively is elected MoPac Vice President.
Three Full Leagues - Twenty-eight teams of curlers are filling the ice this season in three leagues - Tuesday 9:30 p.m. in San Jose, Wednesday 6:45 p.m. in Oakland, and Friday, mostly at 8:45 p.m. in Oakland.
- SJ league winners: Team "Ivy League" - Barry Ivy, Gabrielle Coleman, Brian Zaitz, Tom Dias
- Oakland Weds league winners: Team Lively - Michael Lively, Jesus Barajas, Dave Sciacero, Dustin Clark
- Oakland Fri league winners: Team "Mosswood" - Jesus Barajas, Kate Garfinkle, Evan Elliot, Jessica Tudor
Lessons - One sheet in San Jose and one sheet in Friday league in Oakland were reserved for lessons. Seven students in San Jose participate in a 5-week lesson series, then are integrated into the league. Eight students participate in Oakland, with 5 on a waiting list.
SFBACC at Giants vs. Padres - September 23 - "PLAY BALL!!! An SFBACC line-up will be cheering on San Francisco Giants as they slug it out with the Padres on the diamond on Sunday September 23rd. The stands will be filled with curlers, tasty ballpark refreshments, and a lively local crowd—don't miss this major-league outing! We'll also tailgate at AT&T Park prior to the game to warm up our cheer (please bring your own refreshments) and don't forget to sport your Orange and Black!!!"
Four SFBACC Teams Go to Chicago - Four SFBACC teams participate in the Windy City Spiel in Chicago. One team makes the B-event semis, and another makes the C-event semis.
South Bay Curlers Open Forum - Tuesday Nov. 13th - The SFBACC holds an open forum for South Bay curlers on Tuesday, November 13th, at 8pm in Stanley's at Sharks Ice San Jose. "The board is beginning to plan our leagues, lessons and special events for 2013, and we want your input! Please think about when & where you want to curl, and come with your opinions on everything from league format to social mixers."
SFBACC receives Curtis Darwin Grant - December - We are thrilled to announce that the San Francisco Bay Area Curling Club has been awarded a grant from the Darwin Curtis Fund for our outreach and development efforts. SFBACC's continued innovation and commitment to growing the sport was recognized as particularly aligned with the fund's intent to "support and encourage participation by the general public in the sport of curling." The fund is administered by the USCA on behalf of The Chicago Community Trust. Of the dozens that applied, only 6 clubs across the country received a portion of the $20,000 distributed in this inaugural year.
- San Jose - Tuesdays, 9:45 pm, 10 teams, 12 weeks - League winners:
- Oakland Wednesdays - 6:45 pm, 11 teams, 13 weeks - League winners:
- Oakland Fridays - 10 teams, 13 weeks - League winners:
2013 Winter League registration is now closed. If you'd like to make yourself available to spare, please contact the league's drawmaster at their email address below.
San Jose Tuesday League
January 8 - March 26
Oakland Wednesday League
January 9 - April 3
Oakland Friday League
January 11 - April 5
Outdoor Curling at Serene Lakes - January - A few curlers, led by Alice Mansell, curl outdoors at Serene Lakes near Truckee. more photos
Club Nationals - Several SFBACC teams enter the Men's and Women's Club Nationals Playdowns. Team Walsh (Sarah Walsh, Kim Chapin, Emily Kimmel, Emily Schermerhorn) wins the second women's spot and finishes 2-7 at Nationals.
Mixed Nationals - Several SFBACC teams enter the Mixed Playdowns. Team Seeger (Wes Seeger, Candace Seip, Brian Patrick, Loreen Makishima) win the second spot and represent MoPac at Nationals.
Oakland Learn-to-Curl - March 9, 10:45 am - 1 pm
SFBACC 55th Anniversary - March 13, 2013
SFBACC Annual Meeting - Thursday, March 28, 6:30-8:00pm (curling to follow!)at Sharks Ice at Fremont
Competitive Curling BBQ - May 19
Golden Gate Bonspiel - May 24-26